The Sir Frederick Banting Legacy Foundation (SFBLF) is pleased to announce the winners of the
2018 Banting Legacy Educational Awards.
These awards are provided as support for students, living with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, to advance
their career aspirations through post-secondary education.
This program is one of many operated by SFBLF to Fight Diabetes and Preserve the Legacy of
Sir Frederick Banting, co-discoverer of insulin and Canada’s first Nobel Laureate.
2018 Banting Legacy Scholarship Winners
* Ms. Harkiran Moondi, Sandalwood Heights Secondary School, Brampton, ON, Peel DSB
* Mr. Michael Thornton, Monarch Park Collegiate Institute, Toronto, ON, Toronto DSB
2018 Banting Legacy Bursary Winners – Group 1
* Mr. Tyler Gysbers, Patrick Fogerty Catholic High School, Orillia, ON, Simcoe-Muskoka CDSB
* Ms. Kiersten Hillman, Bracebridge Muskoka Lakes SS, Bracebridge, ON, Trillium Lakelands DSB
2018 Banting Legacy Bursary Winners – Group 2
* Ms. Brittney Ellsworth, Wellington Heights SS, Mt. Forest, ON, Upper Grand DSB
* Mr. Darren Mills, John F. Ross Collegiate VI, Guelph, ON, Upper Grand DSB
* Ms. Linda Sturge, I. E. Weldon Secondary School, Lindsay, ON, Trillium Lakelands DSB
* Ms. Caitlyn Turner, Huntsville High School, Huntsville, ON, Trillium Lakelands DSB
The awards are based on consideration of academic achievement, leadership, creative contributions to
extra-curricular activities within school and community, diligent adherence to essential diabetes selfmanagement
protocols, a written essay selected from topics provided and supporting
recommendations from healthcare providers and community leaders.
The Directors of SFBLF congratulate the 2018 winners and wish all of them continued good health
and outstanding success. We are very proud to support such accomplished young women and men.
SFBLF (Alliston, Ontario, Canada)
The mission of SFBLF is to Fight Diabetes and Preserve a Legacy. The primary focus is on disease prevention
and disease self-management through increased awareness, education, clinical innovation and sustained
support with an emphasis on youth. Minimizing the transition challenges faced by youth living with diabetes
as they navigate from the paediatric to the adult healthcare system is a key priority.
Contact: David Sadleir, President: email@example.com
P.O. Box 137, Alliston, ON, Canada, L9R 1T9 www.bantinglegacy.ca
Charitable Registration No. 80740 6145 RR0001